Saturday, July 15, 2006

Yesterday in St. Louis...

Who would think just riding local transportation could be so interesting? I’ve been exploring St. Louis via the available options for me without unloading my scooter. Yes, I could ride it around here. I’m just too lazy to unload it, and why should I when I have plenty of other opportunities?
The campground has a shuttle to the Metrolink stop, and from there I can get anywhere I’m interested in going. I love visiting cities with light rail transportation. Washington, D.C. has a fantastic system that has served me exceptionally well in my 5 trips there. In New York, you can’t function without the subways. In both cities, you can exist very well without a car at all.
For the life of me, I CANNOT understand why the politicians in Milwaukee are so resistant to getting a light rail system. Instead they want to tear up scores of neighborhoods and dig up countless veterans’ graves to make I-94 SIX lanes wide on each side???? And that would just continue to add more “Ozone Action Days” and burn more fossil fuels (says the woman driving an RV around the country.)
If we had a light rail system in Milwaukee, I’m sure I’d go downtown more myself. I love downtown Milwaukee, but hate dealing with parking there. My friends frequently want to go out on the east side, but it’s too easy for me to find excuses not to go, because by the time I find a parking space I’m in a crappy mood and all tense. Even for festivals and summerfest, I seldom drive downtown. I’ll use the Park & Ride option anytime. Yes, I know I could ride the bus now anytime. But light rail would be quicker and more direct, and I would feel safer too.
Anyway, enough political rambling, and back to my point. It’s been interesting for me to ride the Metro in St. Louis. I’ve met some good folks. Like the woman who just sat next to me while we were waiting at our local stop, and we both happened to get off at the Loop stop too. We chatted for quite a while. Or last night on my way back from my day’s exploration…a whole group from Henderson, TN boarded wearing their St. Louis Cardinals garb on their way to the stadium. They were so excited and making comments about how much they must look like they “were fresh in from the sticks.” I had great fun with them, and I felt pretty city-smart in comparison! Not to mention a whole conglomeration of folks riding a shuttle. None of us knew each other before hand, but one guy in particular made the ride like a party. By the end of the run, we all could have hung out and had a great time.
Yes, I’ve had some bad experiences with public transportation, but I think so much of it depends on my attitude going in. Guess my sabbatical mood is carrying over.
Well, I’m off to the Metrolink. Today I’m going to Union Station. I haven’t shopped in months (other than for souvenirs) and I’m pretty darn sick of wearing the same clothes all the time. Must be some good summer sales somewhere there….

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home