Friday, July 07, 2006

I can breathe!

This weekend we're in Zanesville, OH. As I walked the campground tonight, I saw all of two campfires - on the other side of camp! No need for Actifed tonight. Only 1 child in the whole campground too - which may be because there's no swimming pool.

I felt kind of bad for the little girl who looks like the only one here younger than me. She looks about 10. It didn't seem to bother her though that she was the only kid around. She was having a fine ol' time pushing the empty swings and talking to either herself or some imaginary child in the swing. She reminded me of myself when I was her age... with her dark brown hair and pink dress.

There's actually a lot to be said for being on your own often as a child. (Which may sound strange coming from one of 6 kids - but they were all so much older than me that I was frequently on my own.) My imagination is very well developed from making up my own games and playmates. My independence has served me well on this trip and in other aspects of my life. Plus it prepared me well for living alone most of my adult life - no desperate need for someone to fill the empty space. The space doesn't feel empty!

I rather enjoy the solitude now. While I score as an extrovert on all the psych scales, there are parts of me that thrive on both the crowds and the peaceful quiet. Even though the extrovert in me finds energy from lots of people, after a while I need time to myself. I wonder... is that balance? Or a confused personality?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home