Monday, July 03, 2006

Very full days


The sabbatical days are dwindling, but I'm fitting as much as I can into this time. I'm still keeping a balance of work and fun though. Yesterday I finally found a Lutheran church that's going in the direction I'd like to see Martin Luther head. All the websites I've perused in every town I've stayed in has finally payed off. So far I'd been learning that "contemporary" worship is a relative term. For most, it means a blended style of worship, but still basic Lutheran liturgy. For one, it just meant WOV worship with a guitar and drums (but came out sounding like a schmaltzy waltz.) Finally, this congregation uses the ancient tradition of gathering, Word, Holy Communion, and sending - telling the story with drama, visual images and contemporary music in a way that touches us in the here and now. I spent the morning today meeting with the pastor to pick her brain about ideas and resources, and about what it means to be an "emergent" church. It was a very good and productive day.

But I did have fun yesterday too. Jeff took me to a really nice little area of Bucks County, PA called Peddler's Village - a collection of shops and restaurants. We ate, shopped (well I shopped), walked, and talked our way through the Village. It definitely helps to have someone to show me around and give me insights to the area. I couldn't ask for a better tour guide!

Tomorrow we'll hit the 4th of July parade, then I get myself ready to begin the trek back west.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home