Monday, June 12, 2006

Good move

Tonight the Beast & I are just outside of Spartanburg, SC on our way to the Great Smoky Mountains tomorrow. From the sounds of it, it's a good thing I left the coast. Tropical Storm Alberto is supposed to dump a ton o'rain on the area, including Charleston.

I would definitely return to Charleston again, but I think it needs to be done with a car rather than an RV or a scooter. It wasn't terribly friendly to either one of those (other than the streets of Mt. Pleasant with my scooter.)

The campground I'm at tonight is a bit on the rustic side, but nice. I had a welcoming committee here too - a little boy from a neighboring site. Before I could even open my door, he was out in front of my Beast asking "Do you have kids?" Nope. "Do you have a dawg?" Nope. "Are you by yourself?" Yep, just me and my two cats. "Can we play with your cats?" Sorry, they don't go outside at all.

About 2 minutes later he had moved to the back of my RV. "Can we ride your scooter?" Sorry, I'm not going to be unloading it while I'm here. "Oh, ok." I'm such a disappointment to him!

The best thing about this place is, there's a plantation about a mile from here. I didn't get to visit Boone Hall Plantation in the Charleston area because it was NOT RV friendly (like most of that area.) As I turned in to the entrance, I had to stop cold at the old stone gate. No way was I going to be trying to get the beast through that narrow entrance. Unfortunately, I couldn't back out onto the road either, because there was too much traffic. So I did a lot of back up, pull forward, back up, pull forward - inching my way to turn around so I could pull out onto the road again. There were a few cars who got stuck waiting to get out of the plantation while I maneuvered my big Beast around, but so be it.

All in the name of adventure!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home