Thursday, June 01, 2006

Ishy Squishy Jellyfish

All along the beach tonight I kept seeing these globs of whitish looking squishy things.... could they be jellyfish? I've only seen pictures of those too, like the stingray last night. So I asked a fisherman if that's what they were, and he told me yes, they come in about this time of the evening all the time. He then went on to tell me that earlier this week, when he was out on a jet ski, he encountered hundreds of them out further in the water.

Jellyfish are terribly ugly, yet strangely attractive things. I could have just stared at them all night - some were bigger, some smaller. But they all were dead, which is why they wash ashore when the tide goes out. It makes me wonder what strange, new things I'll encounter on my walk tomorrow night.

But one thing that's not so strange is how friendly people are and how easy it is to get into conversations along the way. The fisherman and his daughter were very welcoming to me. In fact, Hannah gave me a very pretty shell that she dug up as we were talking. Her dad was originally from Traverse City, MI and had fond memories of visits to Milwaukee. Amazing how easy it is to hear people's stories on the journey.

Back here in the campground, I noticed I've got new neighbors moving in too. They have a cute little pop-up trailer, about the size of a king size bed. Sitting outside as they were setting up was a monster St. Bernard dog and another not-quite-so-big-but-still-big dog. I wonder where the couple sleep since the dogs will take up the whole trailer? :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home