Monday, June 12, 2006

Westward Ho!

As much as I'm loving the coast, it's time for a change of scenery. Today I plan to make a stop at a plantation on my way out of town to learn more about the Gullah culture, and then move toward the Smokey Mountains. This week I'll get a brief experience with the Appalachian culture as I journey northward to Pennsylvania for next week's writing class.

Charleston and its surrounding area are beautiful, but it sure has been hot this weekend. Most of the residents have been saying this is July or August weather, not June. All I know is, it was so hot yesterday I passed on the beach. You know it's bad when I pass up the beach! I did still do the tour of Fort Sumter in the afternoon, but then came back to hang out in the a/c and get some things done here.

Just to let you know you're never too old to learn... I learned yesterday that I can't run both my a/c and my microwave at the same time. As I was heating my leftover ribs from Saturday's dinner at Sticky Fingers, it was too much for the circuit board and suddenly all went quiet. In the short time that I was without a/c while trying to figure out if I had actually blown a fuse or not, the temp in the RV went up to 85. So you know it was a scorcher outside.

I've also learned that Moses really does not tolerate heat well, while Max seeks out the sun even when it's already hot. You would think it would be the other way around, since Max has plenty of padding to already keep him warm. I myself am somewhere in between.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home