Sunday, May 14, 2006

Back roads

Today I got off the beaten path a bit as I headed east. After stopping in Buffalo to have buffalo wings in their original home - the Anchor Bar - I decided to avoid the toll roads and freeways. So I headed across New York on Hwy. 20, a two lane highway that goes through every little town and burg. It was a nice drive at a leisurely pace, raising the question, "Do farmers everywhere drive 10 miles below the speed limit?"

I also came up with a couple of other questions. First of all, as I drove through the hamlet of Townline, I wondered what exactly is a 'hamlet'? It seemed to be much smaller than the 'village' that I drove through next. So is it bigger than a 'town' or a 'township'? I like the sound of it though - a hamlet.

Another question - or more of an observation. I passed a road called "2 Rod Road" and a little later passed "4 Rod Road." You would think the next one would be 5 or 6, but down another stretch I passed "3 Rod Road." Shouldn't 3 be between 2 and 4?

Just some thoughts. Another thought that I should have added yesterday, after spending some time at Lake Ontario. How amazing that water can be so powerful and dangerous up the river leading to Niagara Falls and going over those rocks. But there at Lake Ontario, the same water was calm and blue and beautiful. Well, it was beautiful in both situations - powerful & dangerous, and calm & peaceful. But it was in it's path over the rocks and rough spots that the water became it's most powerful. What does that say about life?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home