Thursday, May 11, 2006

Long couple of days

Wow! Am I behind in writing here. I know it's only been 2 days, but they've been very full days - heavy on the driving and not so much about Sabbath rest. I wanted to get east as quickly as possible though. Indiana didn't hold great excitement for me, so that was a 'drive through' state, although I did stay overnight at a very cool campground in Angola. It was one of those kind of pleasant surprises that waits for you over the next hill. When I checked in, my thoughts were "hey, I'm tired of driving and it's a place to spend the night." Then I went for a walk to explore after setting up, and headed toward "Hogback Lake" which was on the grounds. Yeah, probably a lake like the man-made one in Iowa that I checked out during my internship year. That one was a pond in a field. I figured this would be about the same.

But I literally went over a hill and found a surprisingly cool rest of the campground. There were hundreds of campers set up as seasonal sites with landscaping and decks and satellite dishes. It was a small town with all the amenities like pavilions and playgrounds and fishing ponds. When I got to the lake, it actually was a lake! Even had a beach and a couple of docks.

So that was my nice surprise in Indiana. Yesterday then my plan was to do the 4 hour drive from Angola to a campground just north of Cleveland, with a brief stop to visit my first church in Norwalk. Yah, right. Ohio was filled with road construction. Even the alternate routes I took thinking I could avoid the turnpike construction were dotted with lane closures and torn up roads. So much for a relaxing 4 or 5 hour travel day. It turned out to be more like 6 or 7 and my legs were just tense from all the braking and slowing down half of the drive.

Thankfully I was at the coolest campground yet in Geneva, OH. It was huge, and spread throughout a wooded area along the Grand River, and they had 4 small lakes on the grounds too. I worked out the tension in my legs by taking a walk about the grounds, and didn't even cover half of it with my half hour walk. I would definitely re-visit that campground again, with some time built in for exploring the area's many wineries and antique shops. :-)

Today I got to Niagara Falls - actually just north in Lewiston. I'm planning 3 days here to visit all the area sites, while still having time to finally do some more sabbatical work of reading and writing. Since they're predicting 10 days of rain in this region, looks like I may get a lot of sabbatical work done, and not so much exploring. Although I did stop at the outlet mall on the way here to buy an Eddie Bauer raincoat so I could still get out on the scooter....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home