Friday, March 26, 2010

Newsletter Reflection

    Last week brought back memories of almost two years ago for me. Watching the Breitlow family sitting vigil with Marion as she was dying reminded me so much of my own family waiting and watching with Mom. In many ways, Marion felt like my Martin Luther "Mom," so maybe the connection was natural for me. Either way, as Carl and Peter made sure at least one of them was always there with their mother, I saw in their faces what was surely in my own that summer: a mixture of expectation and exhaustion, memories and being "in the moment" as they watched every breath.

    When Jane called me Thursday night to tell me that Marion had died after that long week of vigil, I again felt the mix of emotions. While there is a sense of relief that the wait is over, there is also grief. It always amazes me how death can bring both sorrow and joy – at least when death is expected. There is sorrow for the loss in this life, but joy that she is now at peace and celebrating the next life. When death is expected, we can move from Lenten sorrow to Easter joy relatively quickly. It's a little harder when the death is sudden or tragic or when it happens to someone whom we deem to be "too young," but eventually we hope to always move to Easter joy.

    And then there are those times when we get very tangible reminders of that Easter joy here and now. Sometimes God gives us those gifts to make new life real. Friday morning, as I set about the business of sending out emails and contacting people about Marion, I got a joyful email from Lois Goetzke. Baby boy Olson had been born that morning at 4:44 am. Chad and Katie (who I was honored to marry last summer) are now parents, and Bob & Lois are grandparents. New life here and now! Little Drew is a new life to be celebrated in this family at Martin Luther Church, even as we mourn the loss of one of our "rocks" here in the congregation.

    My email to the prayer chain on Friday morning said I had two very conflicting requests this day. I asked for prayers of thanks for the life of Marion Breitlow, and for her family. I asked for prayers of thanks for the life of baby boy Olson (he was still without a name at that time,) and for his family. And then I said I realized they were not so conflicting after all. Prayers of thanks for both lives – one already lived, one just beginning. Prayers for both families who were facing new realities – one without their matriarch and the foundational rock, one with a new little one who will create havoc for a while but who will bring far more joy into their lives. Lenten grief, followed quickly by Easter joy. Amazing how God works sometimes.

    In my own family, just a few short weeks after my Mom died, we found out that my niece was expecting a new great-grandchild for Dad. We were all convinced Mom had something to do with little Connor arriving to bring new life and joy to our family – especially for Dad. Whether that was true or not, I believe that God does send us blessings and gifts to remind us that grief is temporary. Life continues and blossoms and flourishes. Easter joy is not just about resurrection in the life to come, but resurrection and hope in this life too. Alleluia!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home