Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Post-trip Reflections

During my journey back, I was so tired from driving as far as I could each day (other than in Las Vegas,) I didn't get very motivated to write on the blog. Today one of my friends made the comment that he thought maybe I drove into the Pacific since my blog ended so abruptly. Guess I better do some reflecting on the journey now that I'm home for a few days.

This really was a good journey for me to take. I've always wanted to do it, to feel the history of this country and relive the westward expansion of the land. But it turned out to be so much more. My trip along the Mother Road really was like a life journey. As I began those first couple of days in Illinois, I was like a toddler wanting to explore every part of life - I stopped at all the kitsch and took pictures at every opportunity like parents with their first child.

Moving into Missouri was the confused teenage years. You try to follow the signs, but sometimes they just disappear or seem to point in conflicting directions. Eventually I learned that even if I made mistakes, as long as I got where I was going it was ok.

Kansas and Oklahoma were the young adulthood years. I had a growing sense of confidence in this journey, and everything was still exciting and new. I trusted my own instincts more and knew what things I would skip because they weren't of priority to me.

New Mexico was my 30's & 40's. Life is good - the best time of the trip so far. I'm loving this journey, and all the chances to learn and grow and meet people and see culture. Yep, this is the best part of life.

Now Arizona.... that's another story. By this time I'm feeling a little like "Been there, done that." I'm just thinking of the destination now like retirement. I have to keep plugging along to get there and occasionally there are some surprises along the way. But mostly I'm just looking forward to California.

California... promised land.... glory years. Life is rushing by me again now, and I just want to get to the ocean. Once there now, I can relax, enjoy, and soak up all that life offers.

Yep, the Mother Road is a life journey. Unfortunately I didn't get to stay in that retirement zone though. Now I'm back to real life and plugging along. But life is still good. Mostly. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home