Tuesday, June 23, 2009

I did it!


Hmmmm.... realized I never did get around to writing about my last leg of the journey yesterday. I was so wiped out last night, and focused on getting ready for The Price is Right, I forgot all about this. So here goes...

Yes, I made it! Finished the entire Route 66 from Chicago to the Santa Monica Pier. Much of the day was spent driving through the Mojave Desert, contrasted with driving into the entire urban Los Angeles area. From desert land, to chaotic overcrowding. You could not find a day of wider contrasts than my last day. But I guess it's only appropriate that I would experience the harsh reality of desertland moving into the even harsher realities of our world today.

But it was truly a good feeling to finish the Mother Road. While I know there were times I lost the road, or had no choice but to detour, by & large I drove the whole thing. As I approached Santa Monica, I felt it before I saw it. The air was cooler, there was almost a smell of ocean. Then I saw the blue ahead of me and my excitement grew. What a relief to finally see that blue sign. And yes, I did it. I am very glad I did, but was also very glad to be done.

What to put next on the list.... hmmmmm.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home