Friday, March 12, 2010

I'm "owned" again


Yes, I have a new cat. Her name is Tasha, although she really prefers to be called Queen Tasha, or Your Highness, or Her Majesty. Tasha is a 17-year-old cat who has outlived her two previous owners. When her elderly first owner died, her daughter took her home. The daughter died recently and her grown children were unable to keep Tasha and needed a new home for her. Enter ME. We were connected via Karen, my friend who is the pastor for Tasha's original family. I think somehow Karen sensed my need to have a furry companion again.

I finished my year of mourning for Max as we entered the Lenten season, and had become very aware of my empty lap again. As much as I have enjoyed the year of freedom from litter boxes and the ability to travel for long times without worrying about a critter at home, I have missed the companionship more. So when Karen emailed me to see if I was ready for a cat again, I knew the time was right. Besides, who else would take in a 17-yr-old cat with special needs?

Yes, the Queen needs special care. She has asthma so regular scoopable litter is out. We use a litter made from recycled newspapers that doesn't have the dust of the regular litter. (Her Majesty is making my house "green" too!) She also just had several teeth removed so needs soft food. No more mega-bags of the crunchy stuff that can be put out for days away. Nope. She needs the canned stuff that has to be served fresh. And not only that, but she has kidney issues and I am transitioning her to the prescription canned food.

Yes, the Queen would probably have a hard time finding any other home with all those needs and her advanced age. She has also discovered that I will turn on the water faucet for her when she sits at the sink while I'm getting ready for work. Now Her Majesty keeps insisting she wants all her water that way instead of from the bowl. I'm trying to resist giving in, but when the Queen is demanding I get up to feed and water her at 6 am, the damage is done. I'm awake.

Yes, I am now "owned" by another cat. The Queen's reign here has begun. It is very clear she owns me and not the other way around. She knows she already owns my heart, so owning the rest of me and the home too just follows. But I wouldn't have it any other way. (Well maybe a little.... ) Even though it has only been a week, I can't imagine not having her here any more. She may be demanding, but she is also incredibly loving. She's on my lap constantly when I sit. She follows me everywhere. She purrs as loud as she meows and even more often. She is the sweetest thing.

I didn't realize how much I missed having that critter on my lap until Tasha took her place there. Hard to say how long she'll be there since she is 17, after all, with poorly functioning kidneys. I may be simply a hospice home for her. Or we may have a few years ahead of us. Either way, she'll spend the rest of her days in a safe and happy home, and she'll own a very loving and loyal subject. :)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Linda said...

Wow, that is beautiful. It's clear the time is right to be "owned" again. Looking forward to meeting the queen!

8:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kris,
I just found your blog and am very excited I have been doing Geneolgy research for about 4 years on my Totzke side of the family and have discovered we are related.
I am your Aunt Gustie's(Augusta)sister's great granddaughter - her sister was Anna who eventually married a Lux in Detroit and had Ella who then had George who had me. Would love to talk to you my email is below. I am trying to find out more about your Great Grandparents Henrietta Gnich and Herman Totzke - Ferdinand's mother and Father - do you know anything else or have any pictures of them. I also have many pictures of your family from Anna's siter Lena - pictures of the family in Wisconsin and a great article about Arthur Neitzal. Would love to get you copies. Hope to talk to you soon. Laurie Ford

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is my email.

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home