Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Tips for future TPIR'ers

Today I tried to accomplish another goal... getting on The Price is Right. Actually, just getting IN is accomplishing a goal. There was a poor lady behind me who flew in from Iowa JUST to go to TPIR, and didn't make it. They got there too late to get a good number.

So for any of you who may go in the future, here's what to expect. They start giving away Order of Appearance Passes at the gate at 6 am. I thought getting there at 6 would be early enough, even if I wasn't one of the first. Well, when I got there, the line was already half a block down the street - and more inside. I got #185, which I thought would still be pretty good. But I was sweatin' it as time went on. They seat 320 people (although I only saw the number go up to 315.) So you'd think 185 would be fine. What you don't know until you get in is, they go with 1-150 from those early arrivers, then they go through the list of groups and other sources than online or phone order tickets. If your number is higher than 150, you better hope there are not a whole lot of groups that day.

So it turned out my 185 was really 285. And it seems the higher numbers suffer in the processing & picking of contestants too (small wonder... hard to look excited and enthusiastic when you keep watching your chances of even getting in dwindle.) Those of us who had higher numbers were pretty much stuck in back and side seating too - and none of the contestants came from those sections.

If you are going, GET THERE EARLY! I may try again tomorrow since I have tickets reserved for then too, but will plan to go get my OAP no later than 5 am.

While that sounds really bad, if you work it like I did with staying at a nearby hotel, it's really not bad at all. Once you get your pass, you can leave and come back for processing time. For the 1:00 taping, that's usually 8:30 or 9:00. For the 4:00 taping, it's not until 12:30. Since I'm staying 3 blocks away, I'll just throw on any clothes, go get my pass, and then come back to shower, dress, eat breakfast and get ready.

You meet a lot of friendly people while waiting through the process. I mostly hooked up with a family from Skokie, Ill and another from San Diego. There was also a Canadian guy in our mix, but he wasn't as chatty. But you have to be more than chatty. Do a lot of dancing, woo-hooing, etc. Make yourself visible and likeable. (I though I did that well too, but guess I have to do more.)

The selection process is interesting. They take you in by groups, and one producer goes down the line asking you "What's your name? Where are you from?" and maybe one or two other questions while another producer sits and takes notes. He glossed by me quickly, so I knew I didn't have a chance of getting picked. But then he went by most quickly.... find some way, or some story that makes you pickable. One of the showcase contestants today was a Hurricane Ike survivor. You know she was a shoo-in. Not sure what I could do tomorrow to up my appeal though.... I'll have to think on it.

The worst part of the whole thing is the wait between processing and entering the studio. You're all herded into a holding area and it feels very much like a crowded cattle pen. We were probably in there about a half hour, but it felt longer. Once we got in though, things went quickly.

I must say, it was pretty fun watching the show go on. Between sets, Drew really does a fantastic job of keeping us entertained and chatting through the crowd. Can't imagine Bob doing that as well as Drew did. His stand-up experience serves him well here. Rich Fields, the announcer, works the crowd well too. He's a definite asset to the show.

Just to keep you all interested even after the last contestant has been chosen, they tell you they'll have a drawing at the end for the remaining audience members. One lucky guy got $100 - oh yes, and the DVD game of TPIR.

I'd do it again - not sure if I will tomorrow or wait for a future time, but heck, when will I have the shot again? Plus, if by some miracle I did get chosen, it would be nice to do it while my Dad is still around to watch it.

Oh by the way, for those who want to watch anyway and try to spot me in the crowd (doubtful... I was side seat by the curtain 3/4ths of the way back,) this show will air Sept. 23 - 3rd show of the new season.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home