Monday, April 24, 2006

Some lessons I don't like

The sabbatical hasn't even begun yet, but it's already a learning process. I'm learning that laptop computers frequently have problems with their a/c jack becoming loose. I'm learning that it becomes progressively worse so that it's harder and harder to charge your battery. I'm learning that if your battery is getting older to start with, this problem drains it dry fast, and that eventually it won't even hold a charge. I'm learning that extended service plans are fine for getting things fixed at no cost, but not in a timely manner.

That's the part that I really don't like. I can get it sent out, but it will take 7-14 business days to get it back IF they don't have to order any parts. If parts are needed, it may be a month. THAT is the worst lesson of all. I am planning to leave next week for this 3 month trip. No way can I possibly go the whole 3 months without my laptop, especially since writing is going to be a large part of my plan.

So IF I can find a place here to do the repairs quicker, I may still get going on time, but with even more expense. Plus the remaining year and a half of my service plan will probably be void. That's another lesson I don't like.

Ohhhhh.... frustration. And flexibility. I suppose I could still send it out for service and hope for the best case scenario - that I'll get it back in 2 weeks and still be able to hit the road before mid-May. Or even 3 weeks would be livable I suppose. I'll need to do a lot of RV'ing around the Midwest then, to still be able to feel like I'm doing something with this wasted time. Oh well. Guess the future posts will reveal the decision!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home