Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Max


I said good-bye to Max today.... just a few minutes ago. I am now "catless" for the first time in 18 years. You'd think it would be easier the 2nd time around. Moses was on March 2nd of last year - not quite a year ago. But Max was still tough to let go of - didn't help that he was purring in my lap while we waited for Dr. Tom to come, even as he had occasional shudders of pain. Last night too... purring through the pain. Amazing how he adjusted so well over 2 and a half years of pain to be able to purr right through it.

Max was my loving, affectionate, although needy and neurotic one. My sweet boy would tick me off to no end sometimes, especially when he peed on the carpet once in a while (rarely after Moses was gone.) But then he'd curl up on my lap and purr, or next to my face while we were going to sleep, and I couldn't help but forgive him. I don't know what it will be like not hearing that at night or early in the morning any more. I will miss him terribly. For days after Moses was gone, I could swear I saw him coming down the stairs. I wonder how long it will take for Max's ghost to disappear too.

Of course now I will be able to get new carpet finally, and new bedding since the old comforter has many stains from his bleeding eye. I can also take a nice long vacation without worrying about leaving him home. Eventually I will get a couple of new cats to work their way into my heart, but for now I will just let my heart heal as I miss both my boys.

Guess I'll go pick up the aluminum foil from the various corners where Max used to go pee....

1 Comments:

Blogger jess said...

awwww. sad day. *hugs*

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home