Tuesday, December 30, 2008

What a difference a day makes!

Yesterday was my day to try to get things accomplished. I have a whole long list of things to get done this week after Christmas (including the promised blog entry on Biloxi and my Waffle House experience...) Top of the list was to go downtown and pay my property taxes. What a miserable experience!

I got down there late morning and drove around for a good half hour/45 minutes trying to find a parking place. Every spot for taxpaying was filled for blocks.... I had no change to pay for meter parking anywhere further away and I was NOT going to use a credit card to pay for $1 of parking time. Why those new machines are rigged to take only coins or credit cards, and not bills, is beyond me! And by then I was so crabby anyway that I sure didn't want to stand in line for an hour, fuming. So I decided it would be well worth my time to make another trip down a day later.

Today I went prepared. I had $2 in quarters in case I had to park far away and plug a meter. I had a book along to get me through a long wait in line. Didn't need either one. There was a spot opened up for me right in front of the door! (And many others that I saw when leaving too.) I even managed to pick the fast lane that had TWO stations open for paying, so I was in and out in less than 10 minutes. Could not believe it!

Plus, I got to pay directly to the City Treasurer himself. I'm thinking he must be up for re-election this year, so he was at the table where I paid. Granted, the other guy sitting there did all the work. But the City Treasurer, with his big ol' nametag, made sure to shake the hand of every one at that table after they handed over the check, and said "Thank you!" I told him it was nice to meet the man to whom I wrote out a check every year, and happily went out to my car smack dab in front of City Hall. Done for another year, and you can be sure next year I will NOT go on a Monday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home