Wednesday, March 28, 2007

What's in a name?

A few people have asked, "Why Possum Soup?" I've been thinking on that for a while now. Originally that name came about because it was suggested by Cobbie, the church member who helped me set up the blog in the first place. I liked the sound of it, and figured I'd be encountering plenty of possums while on my sabbatical journey through rural places. The name would be appropriate as I planned to write about all the stuff I'd see along the road (like roadkill...) and would be throwing into the "soup" of my reflections. (How's that for deep?)

Ironically, I never saw a single possum during that whole trip. I have a few at home once in a while outside my condo, but none on the road. The name has stuck though, because I still like the sound of it. Besides, it's still a mix of all the things that strike me as I go through life now here at home. This blog certainly isn't a theological reflection - was never intended to be. It's not a deep treatise on life - that's not my style. All you have to do is read the last entry to know that. I just see and write. I observe and think. Sometimes it's good stuff. Sometimes it's crap. I don't care. It's all the things that make me wonder or make me rejoice or make me complain. It's soup!

So if no more than 2 or 3 people ever try this soup, that's ok with me too. For me, it's an outlet for some of the thoughts that would be rumbling around in my brain keeping me up at night if I didn't write them down somewhere. OK, maybe none of this stuff would really keep me up at night either. It's just something fun to do. Hey, it's just soup.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home