Thursday, June 18, 2009

More Mother Road lessons

You really have to be determined to drive Route 66. While my guide book (which has been very helpful...) says that OK makes it easy to find the Route across the state, I'm finding it not always so. It also takes way longer than I anticipated. But I want to follow as best I can, and that's going to take some persistence.

But the reason why I'm doing it is part of the learning from today too - from visiting the Oklahoma City National Monument. It was just an ordinary day.... until 9:01 am. Just an ordinary day, and then tragedy. You never know when an ordinary day won't be so ordinary. So you cannot wait to do the things you want to do. Because you just never know....

Other things I've learned - not so deep. Tulsa has most of its streets named after other cities (big & small) around the country. I realized this when I saw the Sandusky Ave. Christian Church and noticed the street before it was Toledo. (Both in Ohio, for those who don't recognize the names.) Then I saw Richmond, Peoria, Utica, the list goes on. I actually drove briefly down Kenosha - partly because I got off the Route by accident and needed to get back, partly because it was Kenosha and I just had to.

I also learned that I feel an affinity toward Tulsa. Don't ask me why. It just felt like a place I could live. But it was about the only part of OK that I'd choose to live.

I learned that Sonic Burgers are highly overrated. Well, the burgers were ok, but the fries? Not so much. Should have stuck with the BBQ places that are abundant through OK. But at least I can now say I have tried Sonic - and they sure have a lot of them around here. More than McDonalds and Walgreens combined!

I learned I need to get caught up on writing here too - so far it's all lessons and no actual travelogue stuff yet. I'll do my best on this overnight to get some other things posted (including more pics than I have on FB.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home