Monday, August 04, 2008

Reclaiming my life

This has been an eternally long summer for me and my family as we've been going through the end stages of Mom's life. I knew I was worn out both emotionally and physically, but didn't realize how much. I figured out that from mid-May to late July, when I went home for Mom's funeral, I made 9 trips home @approx. 500 miles round trip. Every week, I went home on Sunday afternoon and came back on Tuesday afternoon. It took me until Friday to recover from the drive and couch duty (with very little sleep) and on Saturday I'd already be thinking about that long drive home again and wondering what condition Mom would be in this week.

The week after her funeral was simply about recovery for me, and the next was 'catch-up' time at work. But toward the end of the week, I realized I was finally feeling somewhat normal again. My bishop called me on Friday to see how I was doing, and during the conversation I was laughing about something. He commented on how good it was to hear me laugh again. I forgot how good that felt myself.

Now I'm finally getting back on track personally too. Saturday was my most productive day in a very long time - oil change for my car, cleaned the upstairs, baked banana bread, worked on my sermon. If I was wondering about it being a one-shot energy spurt, today was another good day. I got back on that treadmill, did some bills, spent an hour and a half at the DMV to finally get new plates for my RV (mine was stolen way back in May,) and got the downstairs cleaned. Tomorrow I take the Beast in for repairs and hopefully next week Max & I will head north for a week of actual vacation time. Of course, a couple of days will be spent with Daddy, but most of it will be just for me. I have no idea where yet, but it will be away and it will be vacation.

I have plenty of projects to get done here at home too, but those will now get done with time. One of those projects is to get some more of Dad's stories on this blog. But first up will be replacing a half dozen windows that are so clouded with condensation between the panes that I can't see the outside world clearly. Good place to start, right? Get a little more light in here, and the world will seem much brighter!

1 Comments:

Blogger RevDrum said...

Hey Kris,

My thoughts and prayers are with you as you go through this time of transition in your life. It's good to hear that you're laughing again!

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home